Bloghome of a crafter and artist exploring new craft tools and techniques.
Finally after all this pocket scrapping Ms Crafter has pulled out a card. Now when I was a sprog cards were my forte but I just haven’t had the time of late. As a small child my sister and I produced cards for family members in tandom. We were the dynamic duo of cardmaking. She was the artist and I was the poet. I learnt at the feet of the master as it were in the manner of an apprenticeship of cardmaking I learnt what some might consider advanced skills. We always used cardboard not just paper. I was taught how to measure not guess and how to make light marks in pencil that could later be erased. I had demonstrated for me the use of the best tools, a metal ruler and a scalpel. When using the back edge of the blade one can lightly score the centre fold of the card using of course a ruler to guide it and voila a professional looking folded card with no cracks and rips in the cardboard and evenly matching front and back pages, no overhang. I was also instructed in ruling lines for the type so that the letters of our text would have the same x height, thinking back it’s not much wonder I became a designer.
So I started out my card making career as it were being relegated to the copywriting department as my verse was kinda funny and cute before I went into my teenage angst phase. Eventually I was able to make the whole card by myself unsupervised and branched out to crazy collage cards. But I digress…as usual. This is the first card I’ve made since getting into scrapbooking tools and products. So I was curious to see what I would come up with and whether it would be better than what I would have done before.
Step one: I applied modelling paste through a star stencil called Oh My Stars by Memory Box which was a technique I had seen in a video and was eager to try. It was awesome and I’m totalling doing that one again.
Step two: I applied Distress ink from reinkers to a Mini Blending Tool. Broken China and Mowed Lawn were the blue and green I used. By applying both at the same time in dots to the foam pad of the blending tool it mixed them and gave a mottled effect. I tried swirling the tool around which gave the circles on the bottom right and stamping up and down which gave more of a mottled effect.
Step three: I sprayed the same two colours from mini misters with diluted ink in them.
Step four: I rubbed some Perfect Pearls in a greeny-blue colour on the stars as I wanted them to stand out and be shiny but as I tried other effects over top I don’t think this still shows.
Step five: I added Glossy Accents to the bottom stars then poured on Distress Glitter in Clear Rock Candy while it was still wet so it would stick. Wanted to try a different effect so on the stars at the top I just applied the Glossy Accents. Used my hot air gun throughout to dry each step of the way because I didn’t want to waste any precious crafting time while the Little One was otherwise engaged.
Step Six: I found some American Craft tape which at first I thought was ribbon but turned out to have a sticky tape backing which was the perfect colour match to go down the edge. Stuck on some clouds I’d made using a fine dot embossing folder then hand cut. Used dimensional tape so they stand out a bit and float like good clouds should.
Step Seven: Cut out some letters from holographic silver card using a Memory Box lower case alphabet die. The letters were very spindly so of course I used my favourite glue by 3M with the thin applicator end.
Step Eight: On the back just because I hadn’t fitted a stamp in anywhere yet and I love stamping I added the words baby boy.